UKZN Accommodation for Students 2024-2025
UKZN Accommodation for Students 2024-2025
general information about where students at the University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN) can live that might be helpful for planning.
Students can choose from on-campus residences, off-campus accommodations, and private rentals when it comes to UKZN’s lodging options. First-year students typically prefer the on-campus residences because they provide a supportive living and learning environment. Students who want to live on campus must fill out an online application for residence. In most cases, the application period for the following academic year begins in August.
Gender, academic year, and program of study are just a few of the categories used to classify UKZN’s on-campus housing options. These are the categories:
- General residences – for undergraduate and postgraduate students of all genders and programs of study
- Female-only residences – for female undergraduate and postgraduate students
- Male-only residences – for male undergraduate and postgraduate students
- Special residences – for students with specific needs, such as disability or medical conditions
Although each residence has a different capacity and a variety of amenities, they all typically include study areas, communal kitchens, fully furnished rooms, and laundry facilities. The residence and the type of room determine the cost of living on campus.
Near UKZN, off-campus housing options include houses, apartments, and flats rented by private landlords. Additionally, students have the option of sharing a room with other students. The university offers a list of off-campus lodging options on its website; however, the student is responsible for finding their own off-campus lodging.
In conclusion, if you are a student at UKZN and are looking for housing for the 2024-2025 academic year, you will need to apply for on-campus housing during the August 2023 application period. Alternately, you can look into off-campus housing by looking at the university’s list of options or contacting private landlords directly.
Accommodation for UKZN Students Students can study in comfort on the beautiful campuses of the University of KwaZulu-Natal. Each campus has been meticulously documented for prospective students by the aforementioned web portal.
Accommodation for University of KwaZulu-Natal students
- Residence halls are available on the Edgewood campus. There are catering and self-catering options available. On campus, there are 631 students living in 11 residences. Women constitute 55% of the population and are housed apart from men. Single and double rooms are available. Some residences provide self-catering options. Access control doors are installed in all residences. Postgraduate students have access to five additional flats, each of which can accommodate five students.
|Howard College & Medical School|
- Durban’s Howard College and Medical School residence halls are home to approximately 2162 students. The positions that are available are in high demand, and not all applicants will be considered. The two residence halls are Albert Luthuli Hall and Charles Smith Hall. Charles Smith Hall has twelve individual residences and is close to the Medical School, banks, shops, and the main academic buildings. The Cluster Residence and the six-story Tower Residence make up Albert Luthuli Hall. This complex is off the academic buildings on the western side of the Howard College campus, close to the Old Mutual Sports Centre and most sports fields. There is access control, parking, call boxes, intercom systems, lounges and television rooms, and parking. The aforementioned web portal has meticulously documented each campus for prospective students.
|Mixed Gender Residence – St Hillier|
- Two- and three-bedroom fully furnished apartments are available at St. Hillier. There is a separate bedroom for each student. The parlor, kitchen, and washroom are shared by all tenants. Additionally, there is a laundry room and parking. The Medical School campus is just a short walk away from St. Hillier in Umbilo, which is directly across from Queensmead Shopping Mall. It is available by means of the Howard School transport course.
|J V Smit Residence|
- This residence has 90 large single rooms, as well as entertainment and study areas and tennis courts. It’s a catering company. There are laundry and parking facilities available. J V Smit is near the Medical School campus and a bus route that connects Howard College and the city.
- Around 1 640 students reside in the residences. One of the four residence halls is home to one-third of the enrolled students. The Student Housing helpdesk can assist with off-campus housing.
|Petrie Hall Of Residence|
- Petrie Hall is primarily a residence hall for first- and second-year female students. The three large residences, Eleanor Russell Hall, University Hall, and Lodge, are close to the Science Block, Administration, Student Services, the library, tennis courts, shops, the Post Office, and banks. It is the responsibility of a student committee to ensure that all residence life runs smoothly for students.
|William O’Brien Hall Of Residence|
- The William O’Brien residence (men) is on campus and consists of single rooms distributed across six blocks with communal kitchens. The residence sports program, senior and junior lounges, a large communal games room, and a visitor’s reception lounge all cater to extracurricular activities. A braai area, car repair, wash bays, and secure parking for all residents’ vehicles are also available.
|Malherbe Hall Of Residence|
- People’s Malherbe Home are straightforwardly across Durban Street from the College door. The TV lounge and common areas are shared by male and female guests. Students can relax or play ball in the quadrangle of grass, trees, and shrubs that surrounds the residence. A braai area is also present. The Students’ Union, the Science Block, the Old Arts Block, shops, banks, and the Post Office are all within walking distance. On the other hand, the New Arts Block, Commerce, Law, Agriculture, and Life Sciences Blocks can all be reached within ten minutes by foot. Brucian House and Robleigh House are the names given to the postgraduate student housing in the Malherbe Flats. They are ideal for students in small groups who wish to share three, four, or five bedrooms. A room cannot be shared with another individual. The majority of the rooms are equipped and independent. It is possible to rent a number of lock-up garages.
|Denison Hall Of Residence|
- Denison (men’s and women’s) is on the campus’s old golf course in a peaceful park-like setting. Denison has its own kitchen complex, clubhouse, and Denison pub and large communal lounge. The home has a rec center, television, snooker, and table tennis.
- On the Westville campus, there are off-campus and self-catering flats, as well as on-campus residences with meals available upon request.
- On campus, there are 1810 students. There is a lot of competition for the positions that are available, and not all applicants will be accepted. The four private blocks are S-Block, R-Block, P-Block, and O-Block. The O-Block is only for women, while the other blocks are mixed. Parking, television rooms, and access control are all included in each residence. All residences are independent, with the exception of O-Block, which still has a dining facility.
- 713 students are housed off-campus. It is impossible to accept all applications because of the intense competition. These apartments come furnished to the gills. Postgraduate students may request a single room if it is available. Each student shares a double room. All occupants share the bathroom and kitchen. Hospital Road is where the Bedford Hall and San Sabil homes are in town. Dunstaple Heights is on Varsity Drive, whereas Santa Cruz is in Reservoir Hills and is only for postgraduate students.
|Admission to Residences|
- Local first-year applicants must submit an application to the Central Applications Office (CAO) for consideration for residence hall admission. No separate application is required. A student may not always be accommodated in the location of their choice.
- At KwaZulu-Natal University, international students must apply for housing.
- The deadline for undergraduate applications is September 30.
- Admission is based on financial need, academic potential, and distance from home.
- If accepted, applicants may be required to find off-campus housing because the university cannot guarantee that they will be placed in a residence hall.
- All students will be required to sign a Residence Code of Conduct.
- In 2021, a R25,892 annual lodging fee would make up residence fees. The accommodation deposit for local students is R2750 (2018). These charges do not include meals. Food costs approximately R23 980 per year.) International students are required to pay 25% of their residence fees prior to registering. In student housing, there is no provision for bed linen.
- All residences in Pietermaritzburg, Howard College, Edgewood, and Westville offer self-catering facilities. It is expected of students to prepare their own meals. Understudies should give their own earthenware, cutlery, pots, and other cooking tools. Food options are also available on campus. Meals are served in on-campus residences on the Westville campus. Edgewood provides self-catering lodging. Student Housing in UKZN
|Linen, Laundry And Cleaning|
- Linen and laundry are the responsibility of the student. There are separate laundry rooms for each residence. It is also expected of students to clean their own rooms.
- Students may request to remain in residence during vacations; cost data is accessible from Understudy Lodging Workplaces.
|For more information contact|
Tel: +27 (0) 33 260 3611
Fax: +27 (0) 31 260 3426
|Howard College And Medical School|
Tel: +27 (0) 31 260 2282
Fax: +27 (0) 31 260 1396
Tel: +27 (0) 31 260 6226
Fax: +27(0)33 260 5798
Tel: +27 (0) 31 260 8070
Fax: +27 (0)31 260 7113
Please contact: for assistance in finding off-campus housing.
Howard College and Medical School Tel: +27 (0) 31 260 2182
Pietermaritzburg Tel: +27 (0) 33 260 6226
Westville Tel: +27(0) 31 260 7363
Universities in South Africa Online Application